I just started following How2RunFast and already love the guy. He just posted these tips from Tim Ferriss’ new book, The 4-Hour Body and I thought I would share them with you. I found that many are old tricks from The World’s Best Kept Diet Secrets, a book I borrowed from my mother when I first started with Diet.com, which makes me think Ferriss’ book doesn’t have much original content. Bummer.
I included the tips and added my own ways of how I do or do not incorporate them into my life.
Tim Ferriss’ new book, The 4-Hour Body, is filled with techniques that he claims will help you lose weight. Some of them are well-known, others are more unusual.
Here’s a list of some of them with my input in italics:
- Use your cell phone camera to create a food diary of everything you eat
- Take a “before” photo of yourself and post it where you can see it
- Commit to five sessions of a new habit to help make it stick
- Enter a weight loss competition with your friends. Put some money on the line.
- Eat fruit in moderation to avoid fructose
- Avoid dairy products – Most but not all, I love my Laughing Cow cheese, goat cheese, feta cheese, cottage cheese and ricotta. I guess I just avoid milk…
- Eat breakfast within one hour of waking – Yes, I do this!
- Eat at least 20 g of protein at each meal – I think this is a bit excessive for all three meals, especially for breakfast…
- Drink plenty of cold water –Yep!
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – I do avoid pink, blue and yellow packets but I enjoy my stevia.
- Take cold showers or apply an icepack to the back of your neck to rev up your metabolism – Really? Ummm, no thanks
- Add cayenne pepper to your meals to increase your metabolism – The most fad thing I do probably is my lemon/cayenne pepper/raw apple cider vinegar shots in the morning. I do this when I feel like I’m having a sugar high week or don’t have coffee but mostly it just helps regulate if you know what I mean.
- Add cinnamon to your coffee to reduce blood glucose levels – I add cinnamon to my oatmeal not my coffee, I find it doesn’t dissolve. Anyone else?
- Snack on a few raw almonds to curb your hunger between meals – Duh! I love almonds and always have them on hand.
- Drink green tea or take decaffeinated green tea extract – I do this at night to curb late night eating!
- Do 60-90 seconds of squats before and after meals – This is something I’m willing to try
- Drink a little grapefruit juice before meals – I like to eat grapefruit when it’s in season but I prefer water before my meals.
- Squeeze some lemon or lime juice over your meals – I do this sometimes but more for flavor than weight management
- Eat kimchi or sauerkraut to rev up your digestive system
- Take cissus quadrangularis (CQ) supplements
- Take alpha lipoic acid (ALA) supplements to prevent fat storage
- Take policosanol supplements
- Take garlic extract supplements – Tried this in High School
What ones do you do?
Tim Ferris also told Nightline that sitting in a tub of cold water could be as calorie burning intense as exercise… Shiver Your Way Thin.